Arnside viaduct which links Cumbria with Lancashire near Grange-over-Sands was closed during a 4-month blockade whilst each of its 51 spans were reconstructed.
Arnside was built in 1856. Exposure to the sea salt environment for over 150 years has seen the viaduct deteriorate to such an extent that the much of the steelwork has had to be replaced. Mabey Bridge fabricated the steel at their Chepstow works and then installed the replacement decks using TCB's.
May Gurney were awarded the design and build contract.