Lagerwey is a Dutch manufacturer of direct drive wind turbines owned by ENERCON the world leader in direct drive wind turbine technology. The Modular Steel Tower is a Lagerwey design and consists of metal sheets that are transported on standard trucks. The towers are assembled on site for lifetime connection with preloaded Greenkote® TCBs. This is a proven concept in the wind energy market and many other industries.
The MST is light and reduces transport movements by 90% in comparison to concrete tower solutions, radically reducing transportation costs. Another advantage is the ability to build ever higher towers; Lagerweys L136 tower is 166 meters high.
This design has proved successful with hundreds of Lagerwey MSTs located across the globe, primarily in Holland, Belgium and Finland. Utilising TCBs Lagerwey and Tension Control Bolts Ltd are continuously reducing the cost price per kWh of wind energy.
Pictures copyright Lagerwey.
- Fast and easy installation using tension-controlled TCBs with tower erection completed within a couple of days.
- Utilising TCBs means there are no welded connections. Problems with fatigue and cracks are avoided.
- High hub heights; virtually no restriction on the maximum hub height.
- Low transportation requirements.
- Reduced steel requirement; in contrast tubular steel towers have larger tower diameters with thicker steel material
- Utilises steel coils which are more cost effective than quarto steel plates
- Highly automated shell production ensuring consistent high quality and reduced costs
- Easy transportation of shells on standard trailers, in containers or by rail, facilitating access to even remote locations
- Fully recyclable tower at end of life.