Lagerwey is a Dutch manufacturer of direct drive wind turbines now 100% owned by ENERCON the world leader in direct drive wind turbine technology. The MST tower is a Lagerwey design and consists of metal sheets that are transported on standard trucks. The towers are assembled on site; bolting – with TCBs - the metal sheets together for lifetime connection with preloaded high quality Greenkote® TCBs. This is a proven concept in the Wind Energy market and many other industries.
The MST is light and reduces transport movements by 90% in comparison to concrete tower solutions radically reducing transportation costs. Another advantage is the ability to build ever higher towers; Lagerweys L136 tower is 166 meters high.
This design has proved successful with hundreds of Lagerwey MSTs located across the globe; but primarily in Holland, Belgium and Finland. Utilising TCBs Lagerwey & Tension Control Bolts Ltd are continuously reducing the cost price per kWh of wind energy.
Pictures courtesy of Lagerwey Wind.
- Fast and easy installation using tension-controlled TCBs with tower erection completed within a couple of days.
- Utilising TCBs means there are no welded connections, problems with fatigue and cracks are avoided.
- High hub heights; virtually no restriction on the maximum hub height.
- Low transportation requirements.
- Minimal maintenance - In fact, the TCBs require no re-torqueing during the tower’s lifetime. Research from the Fraunhofer Institute allied to the University of Rostock engineering faculty verified that Greenkote TCBs from Tension Control Bolts will not lose pre-load after correct installation. In simple terms the TCBs are maintenance free and will outlive the design life of the tower. These towers are almost always located in remote areas.
- Reduced steel requirement; in contrast tubular steel towers have larger tower diameters with thicker steel material
- Utilises steel coils which are more cost effective than quarto steel plates
- Highly automated shell production ensuring consistent high quality and reduced costs
- Easy transportation of shells on standard trailers, in containers or by rail, facilitating access to even remote locations
- Fully recyclable tower at end of life.
- Highly effective corrosion protection; Greenkote® TCBs from Tension Control Bolts Ltd have the C5-M approval for highly corrosive environments; typically marine, coastal and off-shore applications as well as the German Ü mark for construction products administered by DIBt (German Institute for Construction Technology) and shows that the Ü marked product conforms with additional German specifications, on top of European CE markings and again very relevant to highly corrosive applications in the wind energy market.